Parents' hyderabad trip

Friday, July 31, 2009

I follow plenty of blogs and at times feel that it would be great if mine was also full of posts. But then wishful thinking is one thing and actual writing is something other.. :)

The past two weeks have been very good and I wanted to share it here.. Hope this exercise also makes me write more in future.. So let's start..

It’s been more that one and half years since I came to hyderabad and finally my parents took some time out of their busy retirement life in Chennai to honour hyd with their presence :) They came over for four days – Friday to Monday, and we had an excellent time here. Let me describe it chronologically here..

Friday :

They reached around 10 am here, and thanks to the great Shamshabad Airport construction, immediately got a good, neat impression of hyd. Then after coming home and wondering at how people can live in such an untidy place (we had cleaned the house just a day back), I convinced them to get ready to explore hyd. So here we go..


a. Lunch Buffet at Chutneys, Panjagutta

This is by far the best vegetarian hotel I have been to and it was fun to see them enjoying everything.. Last time such a thing happened was a year back in Residency, Coimbatore on my convocation day. Like the kid comes out, they were devouring everything available and I was looking at them with some fondness :) They were like this is good, that is good, try this, try that and told me that hyd has excellent food and claimed I had bluffed all the time about bad food !!


b. Next up was a short walk to Hyderabad Central and some minor pearl shopping. This was just to show them one of our usual hangouts.


c. Birla Mandir

This was their second visit to Birla Mandir. The previous one was more than a decade back though. Was a very devotional thing with mom and dad kinda reminiscing their past trip and explaining me the significance of the idols, how things were then, etc.





















d. Lumbini Park

Next up from Birla Madir was Lumbini park. The Buddha statue in the Hussain Saagar lake is a must watch for anyone who comes to hyd. And the boat ride to the spot from Lumbini park also. This statue is the largest monolithic statue in India. The timing was sorta perfect as it was twilight. The setting blue skies with Buddha standing tall, when seen from front was a very good sight. And of course, plenty of scope for photos :) The short boating was also good.


The auto to Lumbini park - 30 Rupees..

The entry ticket - 15 Rupees..

To see mom playing with water as a kid (the pic below) - Priceless :)



























e. Dinner at Eat Street

I have not been a great fan of Eat Street as you have to hurry to get a seat or else eat standing. I was debating on whether to take them to Angeethi or Eat Street. But finally decided on this, as this is different and we have not been to one such before (not sure if there is such a place in chennai). It was not as crowded as it was a weekday and we could enjoy a delicious dinner with nice conversations describing the day, the different things in hyd, the people around (predominantly pairs) with a nice cool breeze around. But, we couldn sit and chat for long that night as we had to start for srisailam very early the next day. However, the experience was very good and left with a feeling of having a great day. :)

I wanted to take them to a 3D film in Imax and the treasure hunt, maze etc there. Wished to see them as kids and having fun :) But Harry Potter was released that week and no tickets were available. So, the imax thing was dropped. They have already been to Charminar and Golconda, so we left that. Apart from this, we went to almost all the most-visited places in hyd.

Next two days was in srisailam, which I will describe separately. We came back on Sunday evening and they were to leave on Monday.

Monday:

The only plan for Monday was to see my office. Both of them were very excited, as it was the first time they are coming to my office. I think it took them some time for the feeling to sink in that I am working here, as every time they see (when I go home), I am in a relaxing or holiday mood, and they have not seen me as an employee :)

We went to office around 10 and went to the cafeteria straight. I wanted them to eat something in office so as to get a feel about the place. It was a good breakfast with me telling stories about each and every place – the gym, the yoga / recreation hall, the TVs, every coffee vending machine and coke machine and on and on.. :)

Next was to my desk with me describing the teams, showing my first places (like the first conf room where we went to when I joined as intern, first desk, etc etc.) Straight to Abhi, my Associate Director’s room and he was generous enough to say that I am hard working, talented etc., Thanks Abhi :)

Next up was the intro to my team members (whoever was present so early) and mainly my manager Bande. But the best part was this pic taken at my desk. This is something that I have always wanted to see.. You would have seen in the movies wherein the father asks his son to sit on his seat and proudly looks at him. Something my dad used to do when I went to his office when I was a kid. Somewhat in a similar way, I also wanted them to sit on my seat, for they are one of those responsible for what I am today.. So, the pic below is one of my favourites..

Four days ran so quickly and now it was time to leave and go home. . But it was a wonderful four days with them :) Memories etched in mind and will be cherished for a long time :) Hope one more trip comes up soon :)


1 comments:

Divya said...

great that u had an excellent time:) the final pic is superb:)